There are hundreds of thousands of species of mold…living microorganisms that grow naturally, thriving in warm, damp, humid conditions where there is little air movement. Mold is found both indoors and outdoors, growing in places with high moisture levels, such as near roof leaks, windows, pipes, damp basements & crawl spaces, areas where there has been flooding, and areas with inadequate ventilation. Humidity caused by water leaks, condensation, or spills from bathtubs and showers can also be a breeding ground for mold in your home or business. Mold can be found on walls, ceilings & ceiling tiles, insulation, carpet, wood, furniture, paper products and many other locations.
Mold spreads by producing “spores”, tiny particles that float through the air, and can cause significant health problems. While mold does not affect everyone, those who are susceptible can have a wide range of symptoms, including nasal congestion, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation and, in some cases, skin irritation. Mold growth typically appears as spots of various colors, accompanied by a musty odor. If you see or smell mold in your home or business, a health risk is likely present and should be addressed immediately by eliminating the moisture source and safely cleaning up the mold.
Because of the potential for a wide variety of adverse health effects, it is recommended that a qualified contractor perform any needed remediation.